Very Important: Rains and Flooding Across Peru
The Government of Peru continues to assess the effects from unseasonably heavy inland rains
and associated flooding along the coastal areas of Peru. Rains are expected to continue for few
more weeks. The most widespread, severe effects are in the northwest of the country, in the
regions of Tumbes, Piura, Lambayeque, and La Libertad.
More concentrated incidents of flooding, mudslides, and inundated roads and bridges have occurred
around Lima and the Ica Region. Some roads in the central highlands, especially in the regions of Ancash
and Junin, have experienced travel delays and disruptions. Areas in the south of the country around Cusco
and Arequipa have been affected less severely by the rains than areas farther north. Our Tours and treks in Cusco have not been affected at all, the trains are running as normal, tours visiting sites and we don´t have delays neither cancelations of our trips.
What we do for our people and community.
Last Minute Information
- For more than 25 years SAS Travel based in Cusco city having as a main and operation office we are very privileged to be able to use some of the profits from the agency to contribute something back to the real people of Cusco where most people who visit Cusco only see one side of the Capital of department the city itself and part of the Sacred Valley without realizing the existence of 108 Districts in 13 Provinces located around Cusco capital.
- Tourist industry generates work only for 2 provinces (Cusco and Urubamba region) where is located Machupicchu. 100% of porters for Inca Trail came from no more than 10 communities so you can understand the controversy of unemployed people in Cusco and the social strikes on streets protesting... Tour guides and cooks live in Cusco. Most of cooks started as a porters on Inca Trail route few years ago... and thanks to their hard work and opportunities received by SAS Travel several cooks could affort to study at guides institude and learn english to became a guides and many of then are working successfully. Most of their children now are studing at institute also to became a guide so one day soon they will start contributing to their families.
- We remember many years ago visiting the villages of our porters on top of Pisac town Sacaca, Amaru, Pampallaqta or around Chincheros or around Chacan Anta... where we used to bring a lots of educational materials for children books, computers for schools second hand clothes, shoes, groceries, bread and meals as well... without realizing we were changing the life of those families, those kids will be the new peruvians proud to belong to Inka´s heritage, hard workers but over all honest with the community and because they found an oportunity... and all of this happen thanks to you dear traveller to help us to help other.
- Not all here is pleasant plazas and archaeological marvels. Life is difficult and often a struggle for many and so we hope that you also realize this brings another side with it to our impression of Cusco and we don´t want to hide it.
- So if you have an interest in knowing what the Peruvian struggling economically and then requiring hospital treatment for one of their family has to deal with then check out our hospital support project.
- PLAY GROUNDS FOR CHILDREN.-
- In 2006 thanks to Mr Jonathan Bryan boss from Discover Adventure we together build bathroom and a play ground for a kinder garden in Anta, town of one our porters, cooks and helpers Donation of computers to the school in Anta
- Play grounds in the school of Quelloquello
- Chrismas gifs for Kids and food for people in Quiswarani near Lares
- Play ground in the Kinder garden of Cuyo Chico
- Construction of weaving work house in Pampallaqta in Pisac
- School desks, wooden floor and educational material in Chawaytire
- Also a small project run in Hotel Marqueses by SAS staff is the -Wawa wasirun each Saturday so you are welcome to read on and visit us!
- ICA AND PISCO EARTHQUAKE.-
- In coodination with the AATC a Cusco Tour Agencies Association we sent 200 hundred tents and 200 wool blankets, water, rice and sugar in our bus-truck, thanks to Mr Jose Zavaleta our experienced driver who cooperate in this great help to our brothers and sisters in Pisco and Ica
- LUCRE RAIN DISSASTERS.-
- Our great cooks as Julio Conde, Guido Humpire, Humberto Gonzales , Julian Huaman, Hilario Sallo, cordinators and camp helpers organized and prepared food to offer this people who suffered from this nature rains disaster, many of their mud bricks houses collapsed and local institutions as Defensa Civil or Indeci never assisted, thanks as well to voluntaries who can with us to help. When some other owners of tour companies and guides went there to take pictures... we were sharing and providing meals for this unfortunate local people.
- HELP FOR PEOPLE IN YUCAY.-
- **Proyects with Charities from aboard tour companies as Discover Adventures UK, Far Frontiers UK, Calpoly College USA, Overland Adventures USA, Moondance Adventures USA, Inca Tours Australia, SAS Travel Peru strives to channel the generous contributions from our clients so that they reach the local people directly.
- Some Examples:
- Play Ground and Bathrooms in Santiago Kindergarten Chacan Izcuchaca.
- Kids Play Ground in Qèllo Qèllo community School in Pisac.
- Kids Play Ground in Pampallaqta Community School in Pisac.
- Computers gift for Chacan School 2006 Miles Buckinghamshire
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes Proyect
- Educational Materials in Chacan, Quiswarani, Huacawasi, Cuncani, Pallata, Chincheros, Piuray Lake, Qello-Qello, .. so many people to thank...but Beth Cummings (Shetland Islands) who donated her entire 2007 Birthday money to support many activities and ensure that so many children received educational materials in isolated communities will be thanked for many years.
- Helping Choquecancha, (Lares) Chincheros, Pampallaqta, Qeros near Paucartambo Communities Weavers so they can sell their beautiful work at Hotel Marqueses.
- This is a SAS Travel and Hotel Marqueses Project to enable weavers in isolated mountain communities to sell their products direct to the public and by cutting out the middlemen who take all the commission ensure fair pay for their work but overall get have a safe place for a fair money
- Education Scholarships for some individuals who lack resources to realize their valuable potencial.
- Construction of the WEAVER HOUSE in Pampallaqta Far Frontiers UK
- Educational Material for Children in Chawaytire in 2009 and 2011 and Pampallaqta. Far Frontiers UK -
- Wawa-Wasi Children of single working mum`s Project, Library, Activity, Toy room and weekly nutricious meal
- Values, Moral and Material Support for young -working boys shoe shiners, etc The young working boys Hotel Marqueses
- Wawa Wasi Projects are generously supported and made possible by the kindness of the Canadian Community.
- SAS Travel Peru is committed to sharing the spirit of Christmas giving and participates in activities distributing presents, meals / hot chocolate to around a 1000 children. All of these small activities could not happen without the support we have received from so many tourists and so have named our CD of photos (We couldn`t have done it without YOU) We want to take this chance to thank you sincerely for bringing out childrens shoes, clothes and educational items which have been so gratefully received and people who generally supported the Ica Earthquake Victims in so many ways.**
- Our cooks and porters prepared and offered food for 1000 person in the rain disasters around Cusco in 2010 in Lucre, Huacarpay, Yucay, Calca (also blankets, tents, sleepining bags and mattress provided).
- LITTLE HELP TO MARCACHEA IN QEROS.-
- Help to transport their potatoes production to sell in Cusco.
- Help with food for 50 families to the community of Marcachea in Qèros, thanks to Far Frontiers UK -2011 (Mr Murray and Andrew)
- Muchas Gracias.
- SAS Travel. (Passion for Peru).