- RATES 2014 -Tarifas 2014:
1. Temporada Alta: (16 de Abril – 31 de Octubre & Diciembre 16 – 31 de Diciembre): US$ 3,840.00
2. Temporada Baja: (1 de Marzo – 15 de Abril & 1 de Noviembre – 15 de Diciembre): US$ 3,240.00
This is a journey.
This is a journey of new horizons.
This is a journey of life-changing experiences.
This is a journey of adventure and comfort.
This is a journey with a purpose.
This is a journey to Machu Picchu.
Is it for me?
It is important to be in good physical condition to make this moderate rated but truly rewarding trek. If you want to visit a number of stunning Inca sites linked by a beautiful stone pathway built in the midst of the most incredible scenery in rising altitudes. A good mix of culture, nature, archaeology and scenic beauty. ..then this is for you! Book early, Get in shape, Get good boots and have fun... !
Easy to Moderate walk, assited by horses.
The night before of your depart to MLP
at your hotel
Van, Vistadome Train.
Lodge to Lodge trek to Machu Picchu 9D/8N
Last Minute Information
- Your journey begins here……a once in a lifetime physical, cultural, and spiritual journey that will take you through the magnificent Salkantay Valley en route to the legendary ruins at Macchu Picchu. Challenge yourself as you trek through twelve different biozones, changing altitudes and varied terrain… …Marvel at the exquisite beauty of the Salkantay Peak, Salkantay Glacier and Humantay Glacier Lake… …Share in the culture and customs of local Andean families who maintain age-old traditions… …Witness environmental and social initiatives to maintain the natural integrity and improve quality of life in the region… …Indulge in the comfort of our enchanting mountain lodges, the innovative local cuisine, the warmth of our people, and your daily retreat to a mind-and-body recovery shangri-la… …Be inspired by the majesty of your surroundings and the knowledge that you are following in the footsteps of the Incas…
Mountain Lodges of Peru offers “Adventure at its finest”: the opportunity to experience the essence of adventure within the realm of creature comforts. But for Mountain Lodges of Peru (MLP), a great adventure does not end there: for it to be a life-changing experience for our guests, we believe that the experience has to be an adventure on many levels. This is why our proposal goes far beyond comfortable lodges and great treks… it is a unique opportunity to experience ancient history in the Land of the Incas, contemporary manifestations of deep-founded culture, the most interesting and exotic variety of flora and fauna, culinary surprises, the determination of local people to progress, new friends and like-minded souls.
The proposal We propose an expedition… one that takes guests on an ancient trail called the“Salkantay Route”, going from lodge to lodge along four mountain lodges in the Cordillera Vilcabamba, a spectacular Andean mountain range which cradles the famed Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. Within MLP’s lodge system, the crown jewel is the Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort (SLAR), located in the high Andean valley of Soraypampa at 3,850m/12,705ft above sea level. In addition to high-quality “Andean Energetic Cuisine” (as created and named by MLP’s Food & Beverage Director), the Lodge offers an outdoor hot tub, cozy reading rooms, a bar/lounge, and 12 well-appointed private rooms with private bathrooms and hot showers.
The enchanting valley of Soraypampa is the starting point of our trek to Machu Picchu – one that is much less traveled, but by many accounts, more scenic and exclusive than the famous “Inca Trail”. In MLP’s Machu Picchu Lodge-Lodge experience, trekkers spend one night each at three Trekker’s Lodges located at strategic points along the route: Huayraccmachay, Collpapampa and Lucmabamba. Although MLP’s Trekker’s Lodge are smaller in size (only 6 guest rooms per lodge), each one of them offers the same amenities as the base lodge.
Day 1: ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
Reception in Cusco airport and Transfer to your Hotel in Cusco , Rest and acclimatize as you are now at 3,400 mts above sea level. If you are feeling up to it. Afternoon: At 13:45 pm Guided Cusco City Tour : Koricancha " Sun Temple" , Cusco Principal Cathedral, Saqsayhuaman Inca Complex,Tambo Machay,Qenqo and Puca-Pucara. Please note you can organise the city tour for Day 3 if you prefer or if you are organising any pre or post tour accomodation you can organise the city tour for any day not necesarily the day of you arrival. Accommodation: Hotel Marqueses.
Day 2: SACRED VALLEY, PISAC,URUBAMBA,OLLANTAYTAMBO.
Transfer from Hotel Marqueses at approximately 8.30am and travel from Cusco past Saqsaywaman and Tambomachay, over the mountains toward the Sacred Valley. We descend 1500 feet to the valley floor of the sacred Urubamba river and the village of Pisac where we will visit a traditional market and you can buy some local souveniers. We then drive up to explore the extensive ruins of Pisac with stunning views over the valley. On the guided walk into the Citadel of Pisac you can observe temples, residences, altars, channels, carvings, tunnels/caves and the famous Intihuatana “The hitching post of the Sun",
For those who would prefer to spend more time in the market instead of visiting the ruins, advise your guide so he can organise a time and place to pick you up when returning through the market.
We continue on to Urubamba where we stop for you to buy lunch. A further 30 mins drive takes us to Ollantaytambo surrounded by the sacred mountains, where we will again discover the magnificence of the Incan constructions, the amazing temple of the Sun, enormous blocks of rock perfectly carved and polished, stone water fountains, stairs, terraces and the beauty of the local people in their traditional dress, all surrounded by the sacred mountains and Valley of Patacancha and Willoq. On our return, we quickly visit the famous church and archeological site in Chincheros, arriving to Cusco at about 6.30-7:00 pm. Accommodation: Hotel Marqueses in Cusco
Day 3: CUSCO to SALKANTAY - MOUNTAIN LODGE & ADVENTURE -SORAYPAMPA (3,869 m/12,690 ft).
THE NIGHT BEFORE DEPARTURE: EVENING BRIEFING IN CUSCO MEET & GREET
After an early breakfast, guests will be picked up starting at 7:00 am at their hotel in Cusco by an MLP guide and vehicle in direction to the Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort (SLAR) in Soraypampa. En route we will take a short break to visit the Inca ruins of Tarawasi near the town of Limatambo (approx. 1.5 hrs from Cusco). After leaving Limatambo, we pass through the mountain village of Mollepata where we stop for a short coffee break before ascending a winding mountain road to a place called Marcoccasa (30 minutes from Mollepata by vehicle). Above & Left: Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort at Soraypampa Here, we will begin our trek to Soraypampa, on an old route called the “Camino Real” (Royal Path). This is a good opportunity for guests to acclimate and enjoy a beautiful 6 hour trek on their first day. (Hiking level: moderate). (Optional: guests who do not wish to trek may be transported to the lodge in the vehicle). The SLAR takes its name from the majestic peak at the head of the valley – the “Salkantay”, the 2nd most sacred peak in Inca mythology and, at 20,600 ft (6,270 m), the highest in the region. After a warm welcome by our friendly staff, guests will be shown to their rooms and have time to wash-up. The first afternoon is spent at leisure to adjust to the altitude. An evening briefing by the fireplace is followed by aperitifs and dinner. Note.- Lunch on DAY 1 is a box lunch. MLP- Soray Lodge - Dinner.
Day 4: SORAYPAMPA.
This day is spent at leisure for rest or activities,depending upon guests’ level of acclimatization.
The most popular activity at Soraypampa is a half-day hike (3-4 hours. Hiking level: moderate to challenging) to a glacial lake where the more adventurous might take a very short swim! Thisactivity is excellent for acclimatization and a first immersion into high-mountain trekking. In theafternoon, guests may choose to trade the glacial swim for a relaxing soak in our outdoor jacuzzi. In the evening, the guide will brief the trekking party on gear and the itinerary for the following day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are taken at the Lodge.Left: Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort.
Day 5: SORAYPAMPA to WAYRA LODGE at HUAYRACCMACHAY (3,906m/12,812 ft).
This is the big day: the start of the four-day trek to Machu Picchu. After an early start, we will hike up the Rio Blanco valley, circling Humantay Peak across from Salkantay Peak. The highest point on the trek is a pass at 4,638 m (15,213 ft). At the pass we stop to take in views of snow-capped peaks of the Vilcabamba Range in every direction, the south face of Salkantay towering above us. We will keep our eyes out for Andean condors, often visible in this area. From the pass we continue our descent toward the Wayra Lodge (“Wayra”: wind; ‘the place where the wind lives’) our destination for the evening. A hot lunch is taken en route. Dinner and overnight at the Lodge. (Hiking time: 6-8 hours. Total excursion time for day: 7-9 hours. Hiking level: challenging with a 15,000ft mountain pass)
Day 6: HUAYRACCMACHAY to COLPA LODGE at COLLPAPAMPA (2,870m/9,414 ft).
On this day we enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Wayra Lodge. We then begin our trek by hiking downhill above the Salkantay River, through increasingly verdant scenery. The Colpa Lodge is located in an open promontory at the confluence of three rivers. The outdoor hot tub in this lodge has prominent views of lush green mountains and a small, far-away, local town. Dinner and overnight at the lodge. (Hiking time: 3-4 hours. Hiking level: easy to moderate). Above: Wayra Lodge
Day 7: COLLPAPAMPA to LUCMA LODGE at LUCMABAMBA (2,135m/7,003 ft).
We depart early today and head down the Santa Teresa River Valley,through more populated rural areas. We will pass through banana,granadilla, and avocado orchards and coffee plantations (said to be one of the best organic coffees in the world). We stop along the river for a hot picnic lunch. After another hour of trekking a private vehicle arrives to take us to the beginning of the “Llactapata Inca Trail” (30 - minute drive). From the head of the trail it is a short climb (30 min.) to the Lucma Lodge, set in an avocado orchard. We arrive in time to allow for exploration of the small village of Lucmabamba and possibly meeting with members of the local community. Dinner and overnight
at the lodge. (Hiking time: 5-6 hours. Total excursion time for day: 6-8 hours. Hiking level: moderate to challenging, basically due to distance, not terrain).
Day 8: LUCMABAMBA to AGUAS CALIENTES (1,900 m/6,232 ft).
After an early start and a hearty breakfast, we tackle the last day of our trek. We head uphill for 2-3 hours towards Llactapata pass (2,736 m/8,974ft), where we come upon a distant but quite special view of Machu Picchu from the southwest, a view few tourists ever glimpse. An added value are the Llactapata Ruins, which have recently been restored. Lunch is provided at the observatory, in view of Machu Picchu. We then begin our final descent to the Aobamba River through lush bamboo forests and more orchards and coffee plantations (2-3 hour descent). Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu are a short (30 minutes), scenic train ride away. (Total hiking time: 4-6 hours. Hiking level: moderate to challenging). We then arrive in Aguas Calientes to check-in to our hotel for the night.
Above: Lucma Lodge
Above: The Sanctuary of Machu Picchu}
Day 9: Machu Picchu (2,400m/7,872 ft) to Cusco
We wake up early to have breakfast at the hotel and then make our way to the bus station for MachuPicchu citadel (30 min), we will ride up to MachuPicchu.
A complete guided tour of Machu Picchu will be provided (2 hours). Guests will have about 4 additional hours to explore the site on their own there is a lot to do and see. Afterwards, we will return by bus to Aguas Calientes for lunch and to go to the train station for the afternoon departure The train takes us to Ollantaytambo (1½ hrs), where a private vehicle awaits to take us to Cusco (1 ½ hrs). Upon arrival in Cusco (approximately 7-8pm) we will drop guests off at the hotel of their choice.
END OF SERVICES
What is Included:
- -Pick up at your arrival to Cusco. Transfer to your Hotel
- -All services from pick up in Cusco on Day 1 to drop off in Cusco on Day 7.
- -Transportation from hotel in Cusco to Soraypampa on Day 1 and from Ollantaytambo back to hotel on Day 7.
- -6 nights lodging (5 nights in MLP lodges and 1 night in Aguas Calientes in a 4* hotel)
- -2 Nights in Suite Hotel Marqueses Cusco.
- -Guided Sacred Valley Tour.
- -All meals except breakfast on Day 1 and dinner on Day 7
- -Service of a bilingual guide from Day 1 to Day 7 and Valley tour.
- -Transportation of personal belongings on the trek by packhorse/mules and/or porters
- -Guided visit of Machu Picchu (includes entrance and transportation to the site)
- -Trains (Hydroelectric station – Aguas Calientes & Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo)
- -All beverages except alcoholic drinks.
- -Tips for Route & Hospitality Staff (Lead & Assistant Guide tips are not included
- please tip Lead & Assistant Guide at the end of the trek)
We recommend that you bring
- RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT LIST
- Here is a basic packing list. These items are essential to ensure adventure travelers’ comfort and safety:
- DAY PACK
- BROKEN-IN COMFORTABLE HIKING BOOTS
- RAIN GEAR (PONCHOS OR FULL RAIN GEAR)
- LIGHTWEIGHT HIKING PANTS OR SHORTS (PANTS RECOMMENDED)
- BREATHEABLE LIGHTWEIGHT TOP-WEAR
- COMFORTABLE SHOES / FLIP-FLOPS
- COLD-WEATHER JACKET
- LONG-SLEEVE FLEECE / SWEATER
- WOOL HAT
- SPORT HAT (BASEBALL STYLE OR SOMBRERO STYLE OUTDOOR HAT)
- COMFORTABLE HIKING SOCKS (4 PAIRS AT LEAST)
- INSECT REPELLENT
- BATHING SUIT
- CASUAL MOUNTAIN WEAR FOR EVENINGS
- PHOTO/VIDEO CAMERAS & CHARGERS
- TREKKING POLES (MLP PROVIDES QUALITY WOODEN WALKING STICKS)
- RE-FILLABLE WATER BOTTLE
- LIGHT-WEIGHT, SMALL BINOCULARS
- RESERVATIONS, PAYMENT & CANCELLATIONS
- -A non-refundable deposit of US$375.00 per person is required at time of booking regardless of single, double or triple occupancy.
- -A reservation will not be CONFIRMED until the deposit is made. Space may be allocated to the next request on the waiting list, if applicable.
- -MLP will issue a 48 hour HOLD on a reservations and will contact the responsible party before releasing space.
- -MLP will honor and guarantee any reservations with status of PAYMENT IN PROCESS.
- -Full payment is required 60 days before departure date.
- -MLP requires full guest information to be handed in 30 days prior to departure.
- -For a single willing to share, MLP will request payment of the 25% single supplement at 60 days prior to departure, together with full payment, in the case that a roommate has not been found. If a roommate is found for that guest between 60 and 0 days prior to departure, MLP will fully refund the single supplement paid by that guest.
- -For cancellations between time of booking and 60 days prior to departure, MLP will charge the non-refundable deposit of US$375 per person as the cancellations penalty.
- -For cancellations between 59 and 30 days prior to departure, MLP will charge a cancellation fee of 50% of the trek rate.
- -For cancellations between 29 and 0 days prior to departure, MLP will charge a cancellation fee of 100% of the trek rate.
- TRANSFER FEES:
- If a guest wants to change tour dates, the following fees apply:
- • 60 or more days prior to departure: US $100.00 per person
- • 59 to 30 days prior to departure date: US $250.00 per person
- • 29 to 8 days prior to departure date: US $350.00 per person
- • 7 to 0 days prior to departure date: US $540.00 per person
- MLP provides one guide for a group of up to 7 guests. For groups of 8 or more, MLP provides two guides. MLP does not accept additional, “private” guides on MLP Fixed Departures, unless they pay the full rate and participate as guests, in guest rooms.
- BRIEF TECHNICAL TRIP DESCRIPTION:
- _6 days (2 days optional) of moderate to strenuous hiking at elevations of 6,600-15,000 feet (2,00-4,600m) on steep and rocky trails and a section of stone paved Inca paths. Trekking entails traversing through 12 different eco-zones, which involves changing weather conditions.
- MLP recommends that guests spend at least 2 nights in Cusco prior to departure. This helps with acclimatization to the altitude and also provides an opportunity to explore the beautiful city of Cusco.
- -MLP encourages guests to undergo preparation by regular cardio-vascular exercise and eating healthy prior to the trip.
- DESCRIPTION OF THE LODGES:
- -All 4 lodges have been designed and built in accordance with traditional building techniques, Inca architectural & mythological concepts, and respect for the environment.
- -The Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort has 12 private double, twin or triple rooms with private bathroom facilities.
- -Each Trekker’s Lodge (Wayra, Collpa, Lucma) have 6 private double, twin or triple rooms. Rooms can hold up to 3 people maximum. Lodges are fully equipped and serviced. Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort, Wayra Lodge and Colpa Lodge have an outdoor hot tub. Every lodge guarantees an ample supply of hot water for showers
- there are no bathtubs in any of the lodges. Room heating ensures the temperature remains a comfortable 68°F (23°C).
- -We have satellite telephones at each lodge which work with phone cards
- these can be purchased at each lodge.
- -Internet is also available at all lodges (see page 25 for more information).
- PRE-TREK BRIEFING AND MEET & GREET GROUP:
- _MLP provides a pre-trek briefing in Cusco for guests which consists of the following:
- -Meet and greet with the group and the guide
- -Detailed itinerary and any last-minute changes
- -Confirmation of specific dietary and medical information of the participants
- -Frequently asked questions
- -Participant gear & equipment verification
- -Specific requests for additional information
- IMPORTANT NOTE:
- -The pre-trek briefing takes place in Cusco the night before the trek departure. You will receive (via email) an invitation with the time and place of the briefing, including a map with directions.
- -Please note that if your arrival into Cusco is delayed and you are unable to join your group for the transfer on Day 1 to the first lodge, MLP can arrange a private transfer for you for an additional cost.
- CHECK-IN: SIGNATURE ACCOUNT
- At check-in at the 1st lodge, you will be asked to open a voucher on your credit card for potential extras during the trip such as alcoholic beverages, clothing/souvenirs and others. At the 4th lodge you will need to settle your bill and can do so by charging the credit card previously presented or by paying in cash. If paying in cash, please take note that we only accept US$ 5, US$10, US$ 20, and US$ 50 dollar bills
- we do not accept US$ 1, US$ 100 or coins. We accept Peruvian currency. If paying with a credit card, please note you will not be able to present a new credit card when settling the bill.
- MASSAGE SERVICES:
- -MLP offers professional massage services at the Salkantay Lodge & Adventure Resort from March-December of every season. MLP offers professional massage services at the Wayra, Colpa and Lucma lodges—subject to availability, please inquire prior to departure. The cost for a massage service is US$65.00 per 60 minute session.
- Peruvian Citizens (19% IGV):
- -As a way of promoting tourism, the Peruvian Government exempts tourists from 19% general sales tax (locally known as Impuesto general a las Ventas, or “IGV”) on hotel lodging only. The rates provided by Mountain Lodges of Peru and/or any other hotel exclude this sales tax for hotel lodging. If you are a Peruvian resident, please note that you will be charged 19% sales tax on top of the rate you paid for your hotel nights. All hotels require “proof of nonresidency” by asking you to present your foreign passport upon checkin. If you cannot produce your foreign passport with the Peruvian immigration entry stamps and your tourist card, you will be asked
- to pay the applicable additional sales tax. A copy of your passport IS NOT PERMITTED.
- -MLP offers satellite-based communications at all 4 lodges along the Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu. Due to the satellite-based nature of the system, signal reception may not be guaranteed in cases of continuous or extreme bad weather conditions.
- RURAL SATELLITE PHONE:
- -Each Lodge has a stationary rural satellite phone which the guests can use.
- -These phones work on phone cards which can be purchased at the lodges.
- -International calls can be placed and received. However, we kindly ask to refrain from receiving incoming calls unless in case of emergency, as a sign of respect and courtesy for other guests.
- -As a reference, a US$10 phone card provides 10 minutes to the US/Canada and 5 minutes to Europe.
- RURAL SATELLITE INTERNET:
- -Though it is our goal to try and maintain our guest’s experience as pure and natural as possible, with as less contact with urban traits (like internet) as possible, we understand that internet might have become a necessary service for some guests.
- -Thus, MLP provides rural wi-fi internet service at all 4 lodges. However, as a sign of respect and courtesy to other guests, we kindly ask that the use of the internet service is limited to use within the guest rooms and is prohibited in the common areas of each lodge.
- TERMS & CONDITIONS OF INTERNET USE:
- -If you decide to bring your own laptop the rate is US$12.00 per day, at each lodge, for unlimited Internet access. A username and password will be provided to you when the service is requested. A “public” laptop is available at each lodge for the guests to use for a flat fee of US$6.00 per session. Each session has a maximum duration of 45 minutes
- per guest.
- -Payment of the services will be charged to your credit card at the end of the trek.
- -Please keep in mind that good internet reception is not guaranteed due to the satellite-based nature of the system.
- -Continuous and/or extreme bad weather conditions might negatively affect the internet signal.
- * MLP IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SAFETY AND WELL-BEING OF THE GUESTS LAPTOPS OR ANY OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICE.
- ACCIDENT AND MEDICAL EVACUATION INSURANCE:
- -MLP includes accident and medical evacuation insurance, valid for the duration of the program, with no added cost. Please note that this is NOT travel insurance. If you wish to purchase additional days of coverage outside of the trek portion of your trip, it is US$ 8 per day per person – please let us know and we can add this to your invoice.
- -If you want more information about the coverage terms, please visit our insurance provider’s webiste*.
- -Due to the detailed and specific regulations regarding insurance, MLP is not authorized nor can we answer questions regarding this insurance. Any questions must be directed to IHI BUPA.
- WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE OUR GUESTS TO PURCHASE TRAVEL INSURANCE:
- -To view our insurance coverage, please follow this link:
- Note: After you press the link, MLP insurance coverage terms apply to the table “Basic Cover” only.
- -Optional 2nd Day at Machu Picchu
- Book an extra night in Aguas Calientes
- -Enjoy a 2nd visit to Machu Picchu: visit the Sun Gate, climb Huayna Picchu, go to Intipunku, and
- enjoy many other marvels the site has to offer.
- -Spend a relaxing day enjoying nature walks (bird watching, orchid gardens) or visiting the hot
- -Enjoy all the amenities your hotel has to offer, including spa services.
- Rate: US$ 265.00 per person based on a double room
- 1. Please request this service when making your reservation.
- 2. Does not include transportation to the site, entrance tickets, guide for Machu Picchu for a 2nd visit. These services can be requested.
- 3. Transfer from Ollantaytambo to hotel in Cusco is an additional charge. Please request quote at the time of booking.
- 4. Single Room Rate: US$ 420.00