Choquequirao & Machupicchu 8 Day Tour.
Last Minute Information
- DAILY DEPARTURES !!! The permits for Machupicchu citadel and train tickets are limited, FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED. You must book and pay a deposit well in advance. For high season (May to October, 6-5 months in advance.) See on Step 1: AVAILABILITY Low season (November to April, 4-3 months in advance.) Book ONLINE on Step 2: BOOKINGS Get a Code (Purchase Number) and pay a booking deposit of US$ 400.00 p/person with: XOOM (Global Money Transfer) OR through Western Union to Mr: Irwin Jesus POMA FLORES (Peru) OR
- Pay a booking deposit ONLINE on Step 3: TO PAY with Master Card US$ 420.00 p/person.
- Book and pay as soon as possible to avoid disappointments.
See our Group tour Fixed Departures in our website.
Private tours can depart any day.
Minimum with 2 person.
Hotel Marqueses offers special rate booking your Private tour.
CHOQUEQUIRAW TREK + MACHUPICCHU 8 DAY TREK The old Inca Trail !!
Choquequirao or Choquekiraw means "Cradle of Gold" in Quechua Inca´s language, although this is probably not its original name. It is another "Lost City of the Incas" rediscovered officially late in 20th century located high on a ridge spur almost 1750 mts above the raging glacier-fed Apurimac River and surrounded by towering Salkantay and Humantay snow-capped peaks.
Choquequirao was build during the last days of the Inca empire in the government of the Inca Pachacutec 1490, by Tupac Inca Yapanqui, and probably after the Spanish invasion in 1532. Almost 40 years the Inca's held stand against the spanish conquerors (between 1536 - 1572). The construction of the different levels of temples, palaces, canals and aqueducts is really fantastic. "Choquequirao is the city which demonstrates the inspiring example of an elite Inca ceremonial center. A city dedicated to worship the “Pachamama” the andean mother earth “the Apus” mountain gods and divinities, the river and the elements of nature." Choquequirao finally burned down and left deserted. This happened probably after the execution of the last Inca, Tupac Amaru I in 1572.
Day 1: CUSCO - CACHORA - PLAYA ROSALINA
At 5:00 am. We pick you up from your hotels, then we travel in our private vehicle to Cachora for 4 hours approximately, spectacular views in Izcuchaca, Limatambo valley, Salkantay mountain and Curawasi enroute, once there, we meet our muleteer and horses, there we pack all our equipment in horses, we begin to walk, the trail is flat until Chiquisca and then we will go uphill, passing through the high pass of Capuliyoc, from there, we will have a great view of the Apurimac Canyon. Then we will descend to playa Rosalina on the banks of the Apurimac River, Campsite at 1,550 masl. Or 5,115 Ft. After of 4 hours walk we stop to rest and lunch. After lunch we continue to our first camping to Playa Rosalina. 7-8 hours walk ,16 Km
Day 2: PLAYA ROSALINA - CHOQUEQUIRAO
Early in the morning, after breakfast we will start to climb uphill through a long and narrow trail, arriving Chokequiraw around 4 pm,approximatelly then, We visit the Archaeological site with our guide. The view of the canyon is spectacular, it is also possible to see Andean Condors soaring in the mountains. Campsite(3050 masl. 11,055 ft.)
Day 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO - MAIZAL
Gentle climbing for 3 hours until be at 3,300 masl. Or 10,890 Ft, then we will descend until White River(1900 masl. Or 6,270 Ft.) On the way we will pass by Pinchiunuyoj Ruins . There, we will observe different species of birds, different varieties of orquids, and local coca plantations (2,750 masl. Or 9075 Ft.), >From Rio Blanco (White river), we will climb up to Maizal (3,000 masl. Or 9,900 Ft.) for about 3 hrs. Campsite.
Day 4: MAIZAL - YANAMA
Again another gentle climbing to start our day ,after 4 hours we will reach Minas Victoria an old Mining center . Almost on the top, we can appreciate original paved Inca trails with stone steps in the middle of the valley . We will pass over (4,150 masl. Or 13,695 Ft.) and finally descend to our campsite(3,800 masl. Or 12,540 Ft.).
Day 5: YANAMA - TOTORA
After an early breakfast, we will start climbing slowly to our higher pass in all the trail (4,670 masl. Or 15,410 Ft.), again the view will be amazing from here, we will be surrounded by snowcapped mountains: The Sacsarayoj mountain and the Padreyoj mountain. Campsite at 3,630 masl. Or 11,979 Ft
Day 6: TOTORA - PLAYA
On this day we will descend to the Totora river. As we go down the Natural life will be more interesting, with lots of hummingbirds, woodpeckers and many species of orchids and begonias. Campsite at 2,125 masl. Or 7,012 Ft.
Day 7: PLAYA - AGUAS CALIENTES
This day, we will walk to our last uphill, until 2,810 masl. Or 9,273 Ft., to arrive there, we will take around 3 hours; from here we will have an excellent view of the lost Inca’s city of Machu Picchu. After a good rest, we will go down to the Hydroelectric plant on the Urubamba River, from here, depending on the time, we will walk and/or take the train to Aguas Calientes, Night in a Hostel.
Day 8: MACHU PICCHU FULL DAY – CUSCO
After breakfast we will take the bus to Machu Picchu, there we will have a guided tour then we will have free time to be by our own in Machupicchu, maybe to climb the Wayna Picchu. Sungate ,Inca Bridge or Tempole of the Moon In the afternoon(At 4:00 pm.), Bus down to Aguas Calientes village and at 16:20 we will board a train to Cusco ( Optional Train to Ollanta and private Bus to Cusco. Arriving at 9 pm. Aprox.
What is Included:
- Experienced English speaking Guide, Cook and Horseman
- Private Transportation to Cachora,
- Full board meals during the trek (vegetarian option or special diets by request
- Camping Equipment Eureka tent for 2 person, dining tent, tables and chairs
- Foam pad roll Mattress
- Horses to carry camping equipment
- 1 Extra horse in case of emergency
- Entrance Fees and Admission fee for Machupicchu
- Tourist Train ticket return from Aguas Calientes to Cusco
- 1 Night in Hotel Viajeros in Aguas Calientes
- 6 Kg Porter for your personal belongings
- A duffle bag is provided for your personal items
- You need to carry small day-pack with camera, water and snacks.
What is not Included:
- Sleeping Bags Down US$40 for 6 nights
- Trekking poles a pair US$30
- Back Pack 60 liters US$30
- Bottle water, sodas or beers
- Tips for your crew are optional not mandatory.
- Optional Tips for the crew, totally to your discresion.
We recommend that you bring
- Personal sleeping Bag
- Bottle of Water
- 2 liters of drinkable water for Day 1
- Purification Tablets
- Original passport in a plastic bag
- Daypack with your daily personal items
- Hiking shoes or waterproof boots
- Raincoat or poncho
- Water bottle, flashlight, hat, sun block, sunglasses
- Warm clothes, Light clothes, 4 pairs of socks
- Insect repellent
- Tablets for the altitude Sickness, Coramine, Diamox
- Extra plastic bags, to maintain our equipment dry during the rain season
- Chocolates, candies or other snacks
- Photo Camera with enough batteries
- The treks for the month of May 2012 have been affected due to a bridge collapse. We understand the hope is to have the bridge rebuilt for June but this is not guaranteed yet....
- Good news !!
- At this stage we are offering this trek 8 Day trek in (reverse mode), starting with a train to Aguas Calientes and visiting Machupicchu first then walking from Hidro to Llaqtapata, Playa, Totora, Yanama, Maizal, Choquequiraw archaeological site (back ward). Before to came out to Cachora we should cross a 50 mt Apurimac river through a manual cable car (Oroya) called locally, installed by emergency until the bridge is totally repaired. At least weather conditions help a lot, because now we are on dry season.
- We highly recommend you to include the walk to the mountain HuaynaPicchu in your tour to Machupicchu, it takes 2 hours and you can start after your tour finish, extra of US10 pp.
- A Machu Picchu without the crowds, without the vendors, without the long lines of buses snaking through the Peruvian countryside exists- and it’s called Choquequirao. By ETHAN TODRAS-WHITEHILL
- CHOQUEQUIRAO and MACHU-PICCHU Trek 8 Day and 7 Night.
- It’s a mix of 2 amazing treks, Chokequiraw and a section of Salkantay mountain trek, we will pass from the Inca City of Chokequirao to Machupicchu, we need good trekking conditions and some experience, we also will see the difference between the Apurimac Valley(Chokequirao), and the Urubamba Valley(Machupicchu), altitude levels, landscapes and the variety of Plants and Animals. Distance: 110 km , When to go: Best from April to October,Altitude: 2,700 masl to 4,600 masl, Difficulty: Moderate
- Daily Departures for Private tours.
- Firstly.- Before you book your tour we urge you to read all the information, descriptions, general details, booking conditions and tour notes for your trip.
- Step 1.- CLICK: DAILY DEPARTURES
- Step 2.- CHOOSE your TOUR and FILL IN your personal details. If you are travelling as a couple, or with more persons you must book with one registration or reservation Code. But please complete details of your companion or group on lines below: Travelling with: (Please write Full names, Passport number, Age and Nationality). Once you finish sending us all your details you will receive a Reservation Code (eg: 240611001). Then you just need to pay your deposit, pay for 2 or more person in your group with ONE Reservation Code, so we can secure all of you in a group, permits for Machupicchu, train tickets and guided tour all together.
- Step 3.- PAY A BOOKING-DEPOSIT with WESTERN UNION: US$150 per person through in order to: Irwin Poma Flores DNI 46612452 (SAS Travel, Cusco PERU) Upon transferring the money email us the Money Transfer Number (MTCN) copy of your reservation and amount paid to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to confirm your deposit. We will confirm your reservation on the same day.
- Step 3.- PAY A BOOKING-DEPOSIT ONLINE with MASTER CARD or VISA.-US$ 157.50 per person. (US$ 150 include 5% card charge.) As soon as we receive your deposit we will procced purchasing your Tickets for Machupicchu and train tickets and we will send you a final confirmation of your tour with detailed information shortly. If you don`t receive your Confirmation within 48 hours please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to Skype us: sas.travel.info or call us.
- FINAL PAYMENT: The remaining balance needs to be paid at your arrival to Cusco in US$ Dollars cash or Soles (Exchange rate 2.90 Soles for US$1). Payments with credit / debit cards are accepted with a commission of 5%, Travelers' cheques with 3% only at our Office in Cusco.
- Final payments of your tour IN ADVANCEwith card it is possible, it will be with 5% extra or you can transfer the balance through Western Union.
Terms & Conditions
- SAS TRAVEL TERMS & CONDITIONS OF CHOQUEQUIRAO 8 DAY TREK
- 1.- YOU MUST ADVISE SAS TRAVEL OF ANY MEDICAL PROBLEMS OR ALLERGIES.
- 2.- YOU NEED TO BE IN GOOD PHYSICAL HEALTH.
- 3.- YOU MUST ADVISE YOUR GUIDE IF YOU WISH TO LEAVE THE GROUP, FOR INDEPENDENT WALKS OR SIGHTSEEING.
- 4.- IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE SERVICE OF THE GUIDE OR TOUR
- PLEASE ADVISE THE GUIDE IN THIS MOMENT SO HE CAN RESOLVE PROBLEMS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
- 5.- YOU MUST PAY FOR YOUR TOUR IN FULL BY 12:00 NOON 3 DAYS BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE.
- 6.- IF YOU DO NOT CARRY YOUR ISIC CARD ON THE TRAIL THE CONTROL WILL ANNUL YOUR PERMIT YOU MUST CARRY YOUR ORIGINAL PASSPORT AND STUDENT CARD ON THE TRAIL.
- 7.- CHANGE OF DATES IS NOT POSSIBLE AFTER A PERMIT HAS BEEN PROCESSED AND AS IT IS NOT TRANSFERABLE OR REFUNDABLE THE DEPOSIT WILL BE FORFEITED.
- 8.- CANCELATION OF TOUR WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF DEPARTURE INCURS A LOSS OF 60% OF TOTAL TOUR COST
- CANCELATION OF TOUR WITHIN 24 HOURS OF DEPARTURE INCURS A LOSS OF 90% OF TOTAL TOUR COST.
- 9.- THE PACKAGE INCLUDES: TRANSPORT RETURN TO CUSCO.
- 10.- NO REFUND ON ORIGINAL PAYMENT. HELICOPTER AIR LIFTS AND MEDICAL ASSISTANCE ARE AT THE EXPENSE OF THE PASSENGER.
- 11.- YOU CAN HAVE A DOCUMENT TO CERTIFY ILLNESS AND PRESENT FOR YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE.
- 12.- YOU ARE TOTALLY RESPONSABLE FOR YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY AND HIRED EQUIPMENT.
- 13.- 3% COMISSION IF YOU PAY WITH TRAVELLERS CHEQUES, 5% COMISSION CREDIT CARD.
- 14.- US$ 20 Discount for ISIC student cards holders. Need to present at Machu-picchu.
- I ACCEPT THIS CONDITIONS :